Mental is a legitimately disturbing slot. The images are haunting, and the atmosphere in this slot is gripping – and might just come back late at night. Even aside from the atmosphere, Mental remains remarkable. As we’ve come to expect from No Limit City, no two spins are the same, and the different X-features can create too many variables on the screen to keep up with. Make sure you keep your head cool, or you could end up like the patients in this horrifying slot, for whom an autopsy is the least of three evil bonuses.
Editor’s discretion: 16/20
You should play Mental if: you know just the wine to pair with a human liver, wish your nightmares would come with astonishing wins, or you thought the other No Limit City slots were too joyful.
|Win lines||108 and up|
|Extras||Multipliers, Split Symbols, Extra Free Spins, Special Symbols,|
Theme and Atmosphere
This slot is 90% theme, and it’s hard to know where to start describing it. The background is a tiled room in a mental institute where a flickering bulb adds some mood lightning. Classic card symbols are swapped for organs, and five different patients are the higher paying symbols. It’s hard to pick which is more haunting: the distressed girl clutching a little doll or the maneater with his mouth guard.
As usual in No Limit City slots, higher wins and better bonuses increase the discomfort. My personal favorite is the lobotomy, where you witness an iron rod getting hooked into the brain of a patient – right through the eyeball. To top off the mood, there’s the excellent soundtrack and the faded sepia color scheme.
Gameplay and bonuses
If the slot is 90% theme, the remaining 10% still has plenty to offer. The usual grid starts off with a 3*2*3*2*3 grid, with win lines forming for every possible combination on subsequent reels. This creates 108 winlines if nothing changes. Count on things changing, however. At any spin, there are different features that are often combined.
- Fire Frames – these special frames split symbols in half, creating twice the winlines. Having four or six of these fire frames enhances two special positions, creating more symbols (sometimes by slicing them into two), wilds, and multipliers.
- Dead Patient – two of these dead patient symbols will select a patient that carries a multiplier (applicable to any combinaties with this symbol) between 5x and 9.999x.
- Mental Transform – transforms one type of symbol into another.
Free spins come in three different levels: autopsy, lobotomy, and mental. The autopsy free spins are the default. As an extra, any Fire Frames that appear, will remain sticky for the remainder of the spins. This automatically increases the number of win lines. Lobotomy Free Spins offer the extra of one spider symbol, which automatically transforms into other symbols, giving them a multiplier. Lastly, Mental Free Spins have two such spider symbols and keep increasing the multipliers that come into view.
With the ever-increasing winlines and changes on the screen, the math model is interesting to say the least. To best understand the math, you need to understand the extreme high volatility of Mental and comparable slots. The hit rate is decent, but most wins by far will be less than your bet. Mental will drain your account if you’re not careful, but can also give you a win you’ll never forget.
Call me whatever cowardly name you want, but Mental is truly unsettling to me. No Limit City is no stranger to controversial slots (and they’ve done worse), but as far as the atmosphere and imagery goes, Mental will remain infamous for years to come. At the same time, playing Mental isn’t just about the gore. Even though gameplay is chaotic, the slot moves along at a great pace and feels intuitive.
I’ve often wondered why so many developers use cartoony graphics, fairy tales, and other kid-friendly themes in slots. No Limit City has wondered the same and decided to make slots for grown-ups.
If you like unsettling slots, No Limit City is the place to be. They’ve featured inmates on death row (San Quentin), the rap-scene (West Coast vs East Coast), anarchism (Punk Rocker), suicidal samurais, and lately tortured girls in the wild west (True Grit Redemption). Most of these slots also offer the same nitro-injected gameplay.